Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
Does anything scream “I’m on a diet” more than eating a salad for lunch? Probably not. While salads are innately healthy, too many of us have been stuck eating unexciting salads in the hopes of shedding a few pounds.
But it doesn’t have to be this way!
Mixing up our daily intake of greens can be a great way to keep our interest in eating healthy. After all, if we like what we are consuming, it is much easier to for a healthy lifestyle versus relying on a “diet.”
One way to keep salads fun and interesting is by changing up the ingredients. We’ve put together a matrix of ingredients you can choose from to never again have the same salad twice!
Step #1 – The Base
Every salad begins with a base, whether that includes leafy greens or grains. Begin your salad build with a healthy foundation by choosing one of the following:
- Crispy greens: Boston, romaine, or iceberg lettuce
- Leafy greens: Arugula, radicchio, or baby kale
- Grains: Quinoa, farro, freekeh, or millet
- Slaw: Green, purple, savoy, or Napa cabbage
Step #2 – Add Proteins
Next, add a source of sustained energy in the form of proteins. There are a variety of options to really liven up your salad including:
- Chicken or eggs
- Tempah or tofu
- Crab, salmon, shrimp, or tuna
- Beans, chickpeas, or lentils
Step #3 – Time for Veggies
Hardly any dietitian puts restrictions on how many vegetables to consume, so go ahead, mix-and-match your favorites and make sure to add lots of color:
- Cauliflower, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts
- Radishes, squash, or sweet potatoes
- Beans, onions, peppers, or peas
- Beets, carrots, fennel bulb, or parsnips
Step #4 – Sweeten with Fruit
The difference between fruits and vegetables has to do with what part of the plant it comes from. But for most of us, we think of fruits as a sweeter alternative to veggies:
- Avocado, apples, plums, or pear
- Blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries
- Cantaloupe, mangos, or melons
- Orange or grapefruit
- Tomatoes (yes, they are a fruit!)
Step #5 – Dress It Up
This is where an otherwise healthy salad can go south. Be cautious of the type and amount of dressing you choose to add.
- Balsamic or vinaigrette
- French, Italian, or Russian
- Blue cheese, ranch, or sweet maple
Step #6 – Get Crunchy
Like any other meal, a salad should not only be tasty, but add a variety of textures. Adding just a few crunchy toppings will add a little excitement to every bite:
- Almonds, pecans, walnuts
- Peanuts (not actually a nut)
- Chickpeas, edamame, or roasted quinoa
Step #7 – Say Cheese
Cheese can make your salad fun or sophisticated. But, just like salad dressings, be careful of adding too much. There is an endless array of cheeses to choose from, these are just a few:
- Cheddar, feta, or Parmesan
- Blue or goat
- Brie, Havarti, mozzarella, or Munster
Healthy salads don’t have to be boring. With so many options to choose from, there is an infinite number of ingredient combinations to keep your commitment to health interesting every day!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets