Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
When then the leaves drop and the snow falls, the risks to winter drivers increases. Lowered visibility, snow drifts, and black ice are just a few of the hazards to be wary of when setting out in your vehicle this time of year. To help make for a safer winter driving season, we’ve gathered the top 11 safety tips for driving in winter.
1. Slow down – Plan ahead and allow extra time to navigate slowly and deliberately to your destination, lowering your speed and likelihood of losing control.
2. Don’t stop – When possible, try to avoid coming to a complete stop to prevent getting stuck when attempting to accelerate from a standstill.
3. Accelerate slowly – Stepping on the gas may cause you to lose traction between you and the road with the possibility of losing control of your vehicle.
4. Decelerate slowly – Stomping on the brakes may have little to no effect on icy roads. Foresee the need to slow down early and reduce your speed over a greater distance.
5. Know your brakes – Antilock brakes perform differently than standard brakes. Regardless of your vehicle’s brakes, try to apply firm, steady pressure with the ball of your foot.
6. Use AWD or 4WD – All and four-wheel drive vehicles usually require you to engage the system before you start moving. Check to make sure you are in AWD or 4WD before you begin your journey.
7. Minimize distractions – This is a great tip regardless of the weather conditions, but especially so in the winter as the time necessary to avoid a collision or accident can be much greater than driving in perfect conditions.
8. Don’t use cruise control – Black ice or snow-covered roadways require quick reactions cruise control systems often cannot mimic.
9. Clean headlamps/taillights – Snow covered lights only make it more difficult to see the road ahead and for those behind to see you.
10. Prepare for your trip ahead of time – Before you depart, make sure your vehicle is in tip-top shape by checking your tires, wipers, battery, coolant, and washer fluid. Additionally, be sure to carry a shovel or broom, kitty litter or sand, jumper cables, phone charger, along with personal items such as a blanket, food, water, and medicine.
11. Check your insurance – Accidents are more likely to occur when weather conditions deteriorate. Make sure you have the right coverage for you, your vehicle, and your passengers before heading out into wintery weather.
And of course, if the weather is exceptionally poor, the best driving tip of all is to not drive at all and to stay home!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets